The Vigor 2860L features all of the original features of the Vigor 2860 product with the addition of a built-in 4G (Cellular/LTE) modem compatible with UK & Ireland cellukar networks. No more USB sticks for us! A standard SIM card can be placed into the slot on the back of the router which is fastened by a cover to prevent loss of your SIM card.
The Vigor 2860L provides compatibility to 3G networks if you cannot yet receive 4G. SMS message capability provides additional messaging and texting functions. And of course the Vigor 2860L still has built-in ADSL/VDSL and Cable/Ethernet WAN connectivity for traditional Internet connectivity.
3G/4G can provide your sole/primary Internet connection, with optional failover(backup) to other WAN connections (DSL or Ethernet etc.) or 3G/4G can be the backup or load-balancer along with your DSL/Ethernet connection.
There is also oppurtunity to add extra backup or load-balanced 3G/4G connectivity by simply adding a second network/SIM which can be incorporated by the use of an additional 3G/4G USB modem as you would have done with the standard 2860. Check the compatibility list for which USB modems are currently supported. An external USB modem is only required for a second 4G connection - the primary 3G/4G interface and SIM slot is built into the LE version.
The Vigor 2860L provides the following features on 3G/4G (in additional to all usual Vigor2860 features):
- Standard-Size SIM Slot
- Sending/Receiving of SMS (Text) messages to Web Interface
- Status Reports & alerts via SMS, and SMS-initiated reboot
- LTE Cat 4 / 3GPP Release 9 with fallback to 3G
- LTE Max Speed : 150/50Mb/s (RX/TX)
- Standard size SIM Slot on with fixed cover
- Unlocked to any network (BT, EE, 3, O2, Vodafone, Eircom)
- LTE Bands: Bands 20 (800Mhz), 3 (1800Mhz), 7 (2600Mhz) & 8 (900Mhz)
- LTE Bandwidth: 1.4/3/5/10/15/20 Mhz
- LTE Power : Class 3 (23dBm +-2dB)
- LTE Duplex : FDD (Frequency Division)
- GSM (3G) Bands: 900 Mhz, 1800 Mhz
- 3G Data Modes: GPRS/HSDPA/HSPA+
- GPRS MS Output : Class 12
- Included Antennae : Two with magnetic extension bases
- LTE Antenna Connection : SMA Female x 2
The Vigor 2860L ships with two LTE aerials (antennae) which can rotate and tilt for optimum reception. The included extension bases provide a 1M extension cable to allow optimum positioning, avoiding obstructions, cabinets or equipment. On the wireless LAN-equipped model (Vigor 2860Ln), there are two additional aerials. The WiFi (outer two, white) and LTE aerials (inner two, black) have different plugs to ensure that that the correct socket is used.
The Vigor 2860 and 3G/4G cellular modem setup is ideal for:
- Backup to your primary Internet feed (ADSL, cable etc.)
- Providing lower cost broadband than a fixed line solution
- Areas without fixed line broadband access
- Compatible with a wide range of 3G modems/phones
- Temporary Locations
- Mobile Homes
- Locations on the move - coaches, trains
- Fairgrounds & temporary exhibitions
- Outdoor locations (the router and modem itself must be indoors!)
- Disaster Planning & High Availability
Important Note: Please refer to the main Vigor 2860 product page for more details of standard features included in the range. The specification and compatibility listed here applies only to the UK model for use in the UK & Ireland - product code V2860L-K (without WiFi) or V2860LN-K (with WiFi). For use in other regions, you should ensure that you are buying the model intended for that country and its cellular networks. When purchasing your unit, ensure it matches your region (the outer box is clearly labelled) in order that it has the correct regional network support and compatibility.
Text Message (SMS) Control & Reporting
As a cellular network device, the Vigor 2860L takes advantage of text messaging (SMS) to allow remote interrogation and control. Sending a simple command ('router status') to the router from a regular cellphone will get an instant reply telling you about the router's current status, firmware version, each WAN port's IP address, status and data volumes.
Another command ('router reboot') enables you to reboot the router remotely. For security, the commands require a password and a whitelist can allow messages only from your specified phones preventing unauthorised persons from being able to send rogue commands. See the screenshot on the right for examples.
The Vigor 2860L can also send and receive text messages from its web interface; checking incoming messages allows you to read service messages, for example that you are low on credit but it's also a quick way to type a message to anyone else's mobile phone from your web browser. The facility is also useful to confirm your credit balance (for PAYG SIMs) or to use top-up vouchers (where these are accepted by SMS).