4 years ago
#185 Quote
I am seeing the following on an SBS2011

BSOD

in Safe Mode boot I receive a stop 0x0000007b BSOD error just after CLASPnP.SYS

The disk appears to be MBR with a BIOS machine

The system disk is C:

I am booting as a GEN 1 IDE disk

What can I do to get this up and running?

Original disk on the physical version ie here:

4 years ago
#186 Quote
When you P2V an SBs 2011 machine, it is moving from being a SAS or ACH machine to being an IDE machine and, although 99 time in 100 the system will update properly, you may find that you have to make a couple of changes in the registry.

If you have already entered WinRE using the Windows SBS 2011 DVD (or a 2008 R2 or later disk will do, we usually just use Windows 10 Ent) you could make sure you have run the following to make sure all of the system files are in order with these:

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\  /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows

x:\recovery\startrep.exe

But if the original machine was running fine, this may be irrelevant. An important option to check is that the system registry is set-up to run on IDE rather than whatever it ran before.

To do this you must run REGEDIT from the CMD prompt after booting the DVD and then open the local Registry Hive from c:\windows\system32\config as the registry that opens by default is just the registry of the WinRE environment which will just reset every time you open it.

You must therefore select LOAD HIVE from the file menu and browse to c:\windows\system32\config which will then open up the local C DRIVE registry (you will see that there is a file for SYSTEM, SOFTWARE etc.) but we are interested in SYSTEM to make these changes.
Once you have opened the SYSTEM file and given the Hive a name (LOCAL C Drive will make it clear which one is which) you can then make the changes to the HK local machine folder below:

HKLM/OfflineSys/System/ControlSet001/Services/

Aliide 3
Amdide 3
Atapi 0
Cmdide 3
iaStorV 3
Intelide 0
Msahci 3
Pciide 3
viaide 3
LSI_SAS 0

Notice these changes are not to CurrentControlSet but to ControlSet001 which will affect the pre-windows shell part of the boot process.

It will take some time to boot the first time after these changes and may very well ask for the product key again as it will have a new NIC, new IDE controller, new Hyper-V devices etc. and once you have moire than 7 new devices, the system considers itself to have been restored elsewhere.

Good luck!